Thursday, May 19, 2011

Weight Loss Wednesdays


Here are my goals I listed on May 1st:

*I will drink 2 glasses of water before each meal. Nope
*I will drink 1 cup of green tea each day. Nope
*I will not snack between meals or while cooking/preparing meals. Nope
*I will not eat after supper.Nope
*I will not eat any candy, cake, frosting, ice cream, "sweet" cereals (Frosted mini wheats do not count), etc.  I am committing to this on a weekly basis. Nope
*I will exercise for at least a half an hour every day.  Hope to get the Wii fit routine in at least 3 days and the Aerobics DVD in at least 2 days.  Other days I am hoping to walk or at the very least step for 1/2 hour.Nope

Well, as you can see I didn't do so hot this week.  I am really not sure what happened, but I was just feeling off this week.  I was going back and forth deciding whether I wanted to continue to participate in the May Your Way challenge.  There were a couple of new features that didn't sit well with me, but I wanted to have the accountability of the challenge.  As a Christian their "mantras" and the new Friday Feature were not what I wanted to be associated with.  As first I just decided to ignore those additions to the Sisterhood.  I participated in the Sister Chat.  But I struggled with trying to figure out the #tworkout.  It was after last Tuesday evening that I started to get really upset.  I couldn't figure out the #tworkout and I had been all set to exercise.  So, instead of exercising anyway, I sat on my behind.  Duh!  Then when I saw the results when I weighed in I just about lost it.  I had exercised everyday the week before, I had drank my water and tea, I hadn't snacked.  And what did I have to show for it?  A lousy two tenths of a pound lost.  I know people tell me it was a loss and I am doing great.  But I didn't feel that way.  I had been losing an average of 3 pounds a week.  I thought for sure I would blow past the 220 pound goal by or around my birthday.  I haven't made it there yet and it is over a month since my birthday.  
So anyway, I decided to add in the night exercising again, wondering if that was what had made the difference all those weeks.  But something just came over me this last week.  I broke every stinking goal I made for myself.  I just didn't care.  I liked the idea of the point system that had been initiated with the May Your Way Challenge.  Until I realized that to receive my point for keeping my goals I needed to keep every single goal.  And I have a lot.  As soon as I missed one glass of water or ate one extra sweet treat or sneaked one bite of food while cooking I failed at my goals.  At least as far as the challenge was concerned.  My hubby suggested it would be better if they had people pick a certain number of goals and then get a point for each goal that was kept.  I loved his idea.  That way if I missed my water goal I could still have gotten the points for the goals I did meet. The thing is, I have decided not to participate any longer because of the concerns mentioned above.  Plus I decided it wasn't worth my time to sit and chat for an hour while I should be getting ready for bed.  I did it two weeks in a row, just so I could get the "point" and I missed the board because of not being able to participate in the #tworkout.  It also bothered me that I would never get a reply to my questions when I left a comment.  So, though I enjoyed my time and the accountability these last few months, I have got to move on.
I am going to try to keep most of my goals (though I am changing them up a bit), but it won't mess everything up if I happen to miss one one day.  I can put it behind me and start over.  I just wish there was a way I could motivate myself more.  I have decided to not wake up early in the morning and exercise.  I am trying to restructure my day because our homeschool has really been suffering because of my fixation with exercising.  I would wake up early, get in an hour or more of exercise.  If the children woke up I would let them eat while I exercised.  Then I would have to nurse the baby and get myself breakfast before being able to get the children dressed, and their hair and teeth brushed.  By the time I was done with that and cleaning up from breakfast it was past 10:00 and we were maybe getting a chance to get some school in.  I was tired from getting up early.  Hadn't been getting to bed on time.  Hubby mentioned that probably was affecting the weight loss (or lack thereof) too.  And I agree.  So I am going to try to be more active during the day, maybe exercise a couple of days in the morning, do stepping at night while watching TV, take walks, I don't know.  I do know I have got to get out of the habit of snacking and back into the habit of drinking my water and tea (though it has been nice not having to go to the bathroom every five minutes).  And I have to get back into reading my Bible or at least listening to the new daily Bible plan app on my phone.  

New goals (but will not beat myself up if I miss one)
*I will drink 2 glasses of water before each meal. Keeping this one the same
*I will drink 1 cup of green tea each day. Keeping this one the same
*I will not snack between meals or while cooking/preparing meals.  Keeping this one the same
*I will not eat after supper. Keeping this one the same
*I will limit myself to one sweet treat a day right after a meal, preferable lunch but not written in stone. This is obviously a change.
*I need to get in at least 3 days of exercise, not sure how just yet.  
*I will wake up in the morning, get kids dressed and breakfasted and get ready to do lessons. (The last few days since starting our new curriculum we have been seated at the school table by 9 or 9:30 and I feel great about it)
* I will read or listen to my Bible.

Anyhow, even though I had a rough week I lost .5 pounds this week.  And that weight was taken with out exercising first.  I always see a loss after exercising, so if I had had time for exercise this morning I may have shown a bigger loss, though I can't prove it of course.  Go figure, I lost more weight by being bad than I did last week when I followed everything.  Can you see my frustration?

No pictures today as my memory card is full.


Previous Weight: 222.9
Today's Weight: 222.4
Weight loss from last week: .5
Total weight loss for May: 1.6

Total Loss since weight loss journey got serious on December 13th 2010: 39.5

If you would like some encouragement on your weight loss journey I invite you over to Tots and Me (my main/homeschooling blog) to enter my giveaway for Chicken Soup for the Soul: Shaping Up the New You.  I even have some extra entries for anyone who is on a weight loss journey.  Come check it out!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry you've had such a rough time. But I think you are right to reevaluate your goals. Sometimes we set goals that we can't keep. I pray that these new goals will make it easier. Congratulations on the .5 lbs! That is WAY better than gaining. And thanks for joining Weight Loss Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete