Sunday, April 14, 2013

Blogging Through the Alphabet: D is for Diet


Diet...not in the terms of "I'm on a diet."
But, from dictionary.com- the food and drink that a person or animal regularly consumes. 

I have tried going on different diets in the past. But, as is quite common, once I was off that diet, the weight came back. I really, truly want to be able to change my eating habits and be able to continue with a healthy lifestyle. I've heard it said that it takes 21 days for a habit to form. When I looked it up, I discovered that time frame is actually a myth. I read that it could take closer to two months or even a year (or more) to develop a habit, to make it a part of your life. 

I have to say, that took me by surprise. I figured, if I could consciously work toward making these healthy lifestyle changes for 3 weeks it would be easier and easier to continue with them. Now, it appears, that the conscious decision making is going to be a lot harder. 

So, what habits/lifestyle changes am I wanting to change in regards to my diet?

I have started to juice again and I would like to continue. It surely would be easier if I didn't have to prepare food for the rest of the family and if it didn't take me so long to prepare the juice. But I plan to persevere. My first week and a half were great. I lost 7 pounds in one week. I was juicing in place of eating dinner. Then it started to go down hill with family coming over bearing food and wanting to make sweet desserts. Oh, and going to the movie and chowing down on popcorn probably didn't help. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to stay faithful to my healthier diet since that weekend. 

Here is what I want to get back to.

Breakfast:
2 egg whites with veggies (spinach, mushrooms, bell pepper and grape tomatoes)
This is either served with a fruit (preferable blueberries) or in a wrap. 
Green Tea

Lunch:
Big salad (If I had a wrap at breakfast, I have the salad with salad dressing. If I didn't have the wrap at breakfast, I make my salad in the wrap which I first spread with hummus.)
The salad may consist of: Romaine, baby spinach, mushrooms, pepper, onion, tomato, cucumber, sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower,with some dried fruit on top. I add a serving of vinaigrette dressing.  

Dinner:
A few cups of veggie/fruit juice which I juice with my Champion Juicer to get those living nutrients out. I have been using a fellow blogger's recipe for Kid-Friendly Green Juice (though the girls don't like it).  Marcy at Juicing Momma has several other recipes that I would like to try. Plus I have found some other recipes online that have intrigued me. I plan on sharing more about those at a later date. I actually found an article titled, "Best Juicing Recipes for Weight Loss." After I read through it some more I will start implementing and sharing.
Then I may have a bit of the dinner, though I have been known to not have anything besides the juice. 

Throughout the day I drink lots of water. The goal is at least 9. If I feel really hungry between meals I have allowed myself to eat some crackers. The problems start when I give in to the unhealthy choices. 

As you can see, I am trying to cut out meat and dairy again, along with limiting the carbs. I would slowly like to get rid of sugar, salt and white flour as well. These are some things I did without when I was following the Hallelujah Acres "diet" several years ago. 

Hopefully, I can start to be more faithful to my plan.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say that this does not sound like the best way to stick to a diet. You need protein and fibre (from good carbs as well as veggies) in order to resist snacking throughout the day and to make your plan worthwhile. Big breakfast, medium lunch and small dinner are fine but you have to be sure that your lunch is satisfying enough to keep you going until more or less breakfast! Cut out carbs all together and you will find that you are lethargic and irritable. Instead, eat very controlled portions of carbs like porridge for breakfast (with soja milk, if you like, and fruit, or with yoghurt) and then you can go crazy with salads and veggies. Other good carbs are whole wheat pasta rice and bread. get rid os salt sugar and white flour by all means. but find a diet that you LOVE and that WORKS for you and you'll be so much happier for it!

    ReplyDelete