Thursday, November 17, 2016

From My Kitchen: Spaghetti Squash Casserole (THM S)

I had a couple of spaghetti squash I wanted to use a few weeks ago. So, I asked for some ideas on how to cook it. After reading some suggestions, I came up with this recipe. I used some of the basic ideas shared by a fellow Trim Healthy Mama mom in one of my groups, but came up with the measurements myself, tweaking it to my liking.  I loved it so much, I had to make it again as soon as I had some more spaghetti squash in the house. 

For this recipe I used two small spaghetti squash. Or maybe you'd consider them medium sized, I'm not quite sure.

First take the spaghetti squash and poke around 9 to 12 holes in it with a small knife, such as a steak knife. Make sure to get those holes deep enough to avoid exploding squash. Microwave it on high until it gets a bit tender, tender enough to cut in half. I cooked mine for around 6-9 minutes. I checked it every few minutes or so, to see if I could get the knife through it easily.


After it is tender enough to cut, cut it in half (be careful not to burn yourself) and scrape out the seeds and icky stuff. 


Then rub on extra virgin olive oil. After that, sprinkle with mineral salt, black pepper, and garlic powder (these are my go-to seasonings).



Turn them upside down and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.


After the 40 minutes, the spaghetti-like flesh should easily scrape out. So, scrape it out and put it in a bowl.



Add 1/4 cup of butter and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. 


Mix it together and place it in a 2 quart baking dish that has been sprayed with coconut oil spray.


Top with shredded cheddar cheese. Bake for an additional 30 minutes.


This pairs perfectly with Parmesan Chicken and green beans.





Ingredients:

2 small to medium sized spaghetti squash
Extra virgin olive oil
Mineral salt
Black pepper
Garlic powder
1/4 cup (half a stick) of butter
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
8 oz Cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions:

1- Stab each squash with 9-12 holes with a sharp knife. Microwave 5-9 minutes until tender enough to cut through easily.
2- Cut in half and scoop out seeds and icky stuff.
3- Rub on extra virgin olive oil and sprinkle with seasonings.
4- Place upside down on cookie sheet, and bake for 40 minutes.
5- Scrape out flesh and place in a bowl. Add cut up butter and Parmesan cheese. Mix together.
6- Spray 2 quart baking dish with coconut oil spray, spoon squash mixture into pan, and sprinkle on cheddar cheese.
7- Bake for an additional 30 minutes.
8- Serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment